One of the sure signs of the beginning of spring in California is the Boysenberry Festival at Knotts Berry Farm. Each spring, Knotts Berry Farm celebrates the berry which is a combination of the loganberry, blackberry, and red raspberry.
The festival will run daily from March 16 – April 8, 2018. Guests of the park will have access to more than 75 dishes, treats, and beverages, as well as themed entertainment, activities, and shopping.
History of the Boysenberry
The historic boysenberry is a cross between a loganberry, red raspberry and blackberry and is named after its originator Rudolf Boysen who initially grew the berry on his farm in Northern California. Boysen later sold his farm and abandoned the fruit. When Knott learned of this berry, he then decided to head north to visit Boysen’s old farm, on which he found several frail vines surviving in a field choked with weeds. He transplanted the vines to Knott’s farm in Buena Park, California, where he nurtured them back to fruit-bearing health. Walter Knott was the first to commercially cultivate the berry in Southern California. He began selling the berries at his farm stand in 1932 and soon noticed that people kept returning to buy the large, tasty berries. When asked what they were called, Knott said, “Boysenberries,” after their originator. His family’s small restaurant and pie business eventually grew into Knott’s Berry Farm. As the berry’s popularity grew, Mrs. Knott began making preserves, which ultimately made Knott’s Berry Farm famous and the rest is history.
Different Flavors of the Boysenberry
Eight delicious boysenberry-inspired items will be included with the Knott’s Boysenberry Festival 2018 Tasting Card:
- Slow Cooked Boysenberry Short Rib (Location: Inside Spurs Chophouse)
Boysenberry hoisin sauce, buttery basmati rice, chopped green onions
- Boysenberry Pierogies (Location: Inside Spurs Chophouse)
Boysenberries, sautéed onions, Applewood smoked bacon, boysenberry sour cream
- Boysenberry Cheese Quesadilla (Location: Outside Ghost Town Candy)
Mozzarella cheese, cotija cheese, boysenberry salsa, boysenberry sour cream
- Boysenberry Elote (Location: Across from Gold Trails Hotel)
Corn on the cob, boysenberry mayonnaise, boysenberry butter
- Boysenberry Coconut Macaroon (Location: Ghost Town Bakery)
Dipped in chocolate ganache
- Boysenberry Hummus with Grilled Pita Bread (North of Sutter’s Grill)
- Boysenberry Sausage on a Bun (Location: Outside Wilderness Dance Hall)
Freshly baked roll, boysenberry ketchup, relish, mustard
- Boysenberry Chicken Wings (Location: Outside Spurs Chophouse)
Guests can purchase the Tasting Card for $30.00. The Tasting cards are available at Knotts.com or you can purchase in the theme park.
Shopping at Knotts Boysenberry Festival
Just in time for Mother’s Day, park visitors will be able to purchase a taste of the boysenberry festival with limited edition merchandise such as a new boysenberry bath and body line including soaps, salt soaks, bath bombs, lip balms (introducing three new flavors) and candles.
Additionally, just in time for Easter, a wide selection of boysenberry chocolates including boysenberry versions of milk chocolate bars, truffles, caramel squares, peanut butter and jelly cups will be available. New and exclusive to Knott’s Berry Farm this year is the all-new Boysenberry Jelly Belly, Boysenberry boba tea which consists of boysenberry milk tea and chewy berry-soaked tapioca balls served over ice, and Knott’s Sugar-Free Boysenberry Punch, a low calorie, no sugar version of Knott’s popular drink.
The Knott’s Berry Market also features signature boysenberry items like the delicious boysenberry BBQ sauce or the classic jams and preserves. Unique boysenberry inspired products with a homemade twist will also be available as the Craft Fair returns offering a variety of products like boysenberry cashew nut brittle, boysenberry pie shaped homemade accessories and more.
Entertainment at Knotts Boysenberry Festival
Knott’s Boysenberry Festival wouldn’t be complete without all of the country fun entertainment options:
- Tied up in Knott’s! – “Tied Up in Knott’s!” is a tribute art show to the rich history of Knott’s Berry Farm, its beginnings as a farm and its standing as a Southern California institution for millions of visitors during its (almost) 100-year history.
- Snoopy’s Boysenberry Jamboree! – Guests are invited to join Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the entire Peanuts Gang in a show that will have families dancing and playing along at the Calico Mine Stage.
- Old Time Melodrama – Knott’s pays tribute to its past at the Legendary Bird Cage Theatre with a special presentation of the musical comedy melodrama with a surprising boysenberry twist!
- Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies – A group of krazy talented performers will have guests toe-tappin’, vine dancin’ and knee-slappin’ to a comedic country music show at the Wagon Camp stage.
- Ghost Town Miners – The joy of scrumptious food and country music encompass guests as the Ghost Town Miners take the stage in a fun musical performance.
- Easter Beagle – Spring has sprung all around the park including in Camp Snoopy where guests can meet everyone’s favorite beagle as he celebrates the season.
- Ghost Town’s Town Hall – In honor of the famous berry that started it all, guests are invited to learn the history of the boysenberry and how Walter and Cordelia Knott started the Farm.
- Old MacDonald Petting Zoo – Young ones and young at heart are invited to cozy up to the cutest critters on the farm including horses, sheep, goats and other furry friends.
About Knott’s Berry Farm
Follow Knott’s Berry Farm on Social Media
Follow California Mom Bloggers
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. As always, all thoughts are our own.